Acne is a common condition faced by almost every individual at some point in their life. However, the scars that are left behind aren’t easy to deal with. If you have acne scars, you may have tried several remedies and treatments but with no real success. This can be very frustrating and can impact one’s self-esteem heavily. In order to treat your acne scars, you need to have a good understanding of the different types of acne scars and their causes. And if you don’t know who to rely on to carry out your acne scar treatment in Singapore, you are in the right place to get back your clear and smooth skin again.
What are Acne Scars?
To understand what an acne scar is, let’s first understand what acne actually is. Acne occurs when the tiny pores on your skin get clogged by substances such as oil, dead skin cells, dirt and debris. This creates a suitable environment for bacteria to grow and cause an outbreak. Some may even notice swelling and tenderness, which is probably due to an infection or inflammation. This condition is commonly seen in adolescence due to hormonal changes during puberty, but some older adults may suffer from it too.
Acne scars may develop as a result of the healing process. This usually occurs when the acne lesions become inflamed and damaged. During the healing process, an overproduction or underproduction of collagen may disrupt this process, leading to the formation of acne scars. Collagen is a naturally occurring protein that helps reduce inflammation of the skin and keeps it looking smooth and youthful.
Types of Acne Scars
Acne scars can appear in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colours. This gives an unattractive and uneven appearance to the facial skin. Some may even resemble depressions and indentations and can alter the texture of the affected area. There are a number of acne scar types, but they can be classified into two major categories: Atrophic and hypertrophic acne scars.
- Ice pick scars: These are very common and typically result from severe acne. They make the skin look like it has been punctured and can be challenging to treat.
- Boxcar scars: These scars appear as indentations and have deep and defined edges. Boxcar acne scars are usually caused by long-term inflammation and can give the skin a pitted look.
- Rolling scars: This type is most frequently caused by damage to the collagen fibres underneath the skin. They have wave-like depressions, which give a “rolling” and uneven appearance. Rolling scars are typically found in areas where the skin is thick such as the cheeks and jawline.
This type occurs when there is an overproduction of collagen in the skin during the healing process. This is also referred to as keloid scarring and appears to be raised and thickened.
Management and Treatment of Acne Scars
If you do a simple Google search on the treatment strategies for acne scars, you will come across pages and pages of solutions. While having multiple options is a good thing, it can be quite confusing, and at times it may not be the appropriate management for the type of acne you have. A trusted medical professional can differentiate between the varying types of acne scars and give you a personalised skin-care regimen to get smooth and clear skin.
Your acne scar skin treatment regimen in Singapore may include the following:
- Chemical Peels: The main purpose of a chemical peel is to help the skin to regenerate. During a chemical peel, a chemical solution is usually applied to remove the surface layer so that the skin that grows back is smoother and scar-free. This procedure also assists with collagen synthesis and is ideal for deep acne scars. Some peels may cause skin irritation and redness, so it is advisable to have an experienced professional perform the procedure.
- Laser Therapy: There are a number of laser therapies that can help you with your acne scar removal in Singapore. The fractional CO2 laser is a safe laser treatment that targets the affected area while generating new collagen to promote the healing of the ablated region. Another laser therapy known as the Q-switch ND Yag laser is most commonly used to lighten heavily pigmented areas. These therapies can help you get the vibrant and younger-looking skin you desire without using invasive methods.
- Intense Pulse Therapy (IPL): Are you in need of a treatment that reduces post-inflammatory pigmentation (PIH) and scarring? If so, IPL might be the treatment for you. It uses a series of quick light pulses that triggers an immune response to enhance healing. It does not affect the top layer of skin and can give you a radiant appearance.
- Micro-Needling: Radiofrequency (RF) micro-needling is a minimally invasive procedure most individuals prefer. This cosmetic procedure involves using tiny needles and radiofrequency waves to stimulate the growth of new skin. This is also useful for tightening skin and is ideal for reducing wrinkles and rejuvenating your skin.
To learn more about acne scar treatment in Singapore, reach out to our dedicated team at Lux Medical Aesthetic Clinic today. Our practice offers a range of services from skin treatments to body contouring to non-invasive skin lifting treatment to btx jaw reduction and so much more. Our friendly and experienced team can help you get clear and glowing skin. So why wait? Get in touch now!